975 MAIN STREET
DANVILLE, VA 24541, USA
Built in 1859 for Danville's leading citizen, Major William T. Sutherlin, the Sutherlin Mansion is known as the temporary residence of Confederate president Jefferson Davis for the week of April 3-10, 1865. In this house, Davis authored his last official proclamation as president of the Confederacy. The government remained in Danville until April 10, when it received news of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's surrender in Appomattox. Today, the mansion houses the Danville Museum of Fine Arts and History. On permanent display is the exhibition "Between the Lines: Danville 1861-1865", which interprets Danville's role in the Civil War as a supply depot and the mansion as the "Last Capitol of the Confederacy."