The Centre Hill Mansion was built in 1823 by Robert Bolling IV, a Revolutionary War veteran and member of a prominent Virginia family. The house is a combination of Federal, Greek Revival, and Colonial architectural styles. President Abraham Lincoln visited Centre Hill in April 1865 shortly after the fall of Petersburg when the house was being occupied by Federal troops. In 1909, President William Howard Taft visited Centre Hill while in Petersburg to dedicate a monument to Pennsylvania Civil War soldiers. The house remained a residence until 1936. Today Centre Hill is a historic house museum owned and operated by the City of Petersburg.