Our supporters are building on our legacy of land preservation the Civil War’s most fought-over state, Virginia. These 326 acres includes land at New Market Heights, were several regiments of the United States Colored Troops assaulted and successfully captured a section of Confederate earthworks. Fourteen of those brave soldiers received the Medal of Honor for their courage under fire.
Trust supporters stepped up to make one big final push to get us across the finish line! 15 acres of hallowed ground in Tennessee at historic Fort Donelson, Brown's Ferry (near Chattanooga), and Franklin are now forever saved. The land at Franklin is particularly meaningful because not too long ago, these hallowed acres were considered lost, paved over and nearly forgotten.
From the arrival of Union reinforcements under General John Reynolds on the morning of July 1 to the burial of more than 60 fallen soldiers long after the armies departed, the 143-acre plot of land known as the Plank Farm witnessed every stage of an incredibly consequential moment in our nation's history. Thanks to our supporters and the Land Conservancy of Adams County, it will be preserved, forever.
Tracts at two Virginia Civil War battlefields are forever safe thanks to Trust supporters like you. These 145 acres at Second Manassas and Kelly’s Ford, where preservationists have already saved thousands of acres of hallowed ground, take our movement an important step closer to the goal of securing our nation’s most significant historic battlefields for future generations to experience and learn from.
74 acres of land hallowed in the 1863 battles at Chancellorsville, Brandy Station and Champion Hill are forever protected from development. These three conflicts were significant in their own right and set the scene for the pivotal Battle of Gettysburg and subsequent fall of Vicksburg that same year. Future generations have preservationists like you to thank for these three meaningful additions to three very important battlefields.
By saving 94 acres at Saratoga and Newtown battlefields, modern-day patriots like you help provide generations present and future with a better understanding of the rich, complex history that led to the founding of our nation. Furthermore, thanks to an innovative partnership with the National Park Service and a nonprofit called American Veterans Archeology Recovery, the victory at Saratoga also supports the brave soldiers who fight for our freedom today.
By saving 18 acres at Hanging Rock battlefield, our generous Liberty Trailblazers take another important step along the path to preserve South Carolina’s Revolutionary history. These 18 acres include 2.4 acres in the footprint of the Patriot attack that started the battle. On the heels of 308 acres saved at Camden and Eutaw Springs, this victory brings us closer to the ultimate goal of securing 2,500 acres of Revolutionary battlefield land and telling the story of the Southern Campaign’s significance to American independence.
And we’re off! Generous supporters like you have already begun blazing the Liberty Trail by saving 308 acres of Revolutionary battleground in South Carolina. These 295 acres at Camden and 13 acres at Eutaw Springs are a critical first step toward our ultimate goal of securing 2,500 acres of hallowed ground associated with the Southern Campaign of the American Revolution — and telling the story of why this history is so significant.
Thanks to the generosity of supporters like you, more than one thousand acres of hallowed ground across seven Civil War battlefields are forever protected from development! From the 1864 Shenandoah Valley Campaign in Virginia and Maryland, to the Corinth and Vicksburg campaigns in Mississippi, to the Red River Campaign in Arkansas, this land represents a significant cross-section of the major military movements of the war. Members like you are the reason we can work at this scope to leave a remarkable legacy for future generations of Americans.
After years of dedication and contributions from generous supporters like you, we’re thrilled to declare 18 critical acres of hallowed ground at Seminary Ridge forever protected. This land is adjacent to the original Mary Thompson House, where General Robert E. Lee set up headquarters after the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg (and which the Trust preserved and restored in 2015). Hundreds of soldiers, both Union and Confederate, fell on this very ground during the first day’s fighting on July 1, 1863.
Thanks to our generous supporters and amazing partners, 105 acres of land on the Brandywine battlefield north of Philadelphia are forever protected from development - including 84 acres at Osborne Hill to the south and 21 acres combining land toward the battlefield’s north end with a property southwest of the Birmingham Meetinghouse and Lafayette Monument. The National Park Service has identified this landscape as among the most intact, largely unprotected battlefields in the nation, meriting top priority for preservation. We’re thrilled and humbled to be making progress in saving this critical American history.
Forty-nine acres of land on the Yorktown battlefield are safe from development - and we have modern patriots to thank. The French allies of Washington’s army camped on this very ground during the famous siege that eventually forced British General Charles Cornwallis and his 8,000 troops to surrender, spelling the end of the Revolutionary War. Our generous supporters have made it possible for future generations to experience this hallowed place where America’s future was secured.
In 2015 and 2017, we had opportunities to save land at Appomattox Court House, the fateful site where America's defining conflict finally came to an end. We're thrilled to declare the tracts from both campaigns, totaling 276 acres, preserved in perpetuity thanks to our supporters! These 276 acres, adjacent to land we've saved in previous campaigns and to the Appomattox National Historical Park, are a powerful reminder of the sacrifices and compromises of the brave men who fought on both sides of America's bloodiest conflict.
We had an opportunity to save land at two of Tennessee’s most famous battlefields. Now, we’re thrilled to declare those 63 acres preserved, thanks to our generous supporters! Fort Donelson was one of the first in a string of successes that earned Union general Ulysses S. Grant the moniker “Unconditional Surrender” Grant. Parker’s Cross Roads is the place where Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest fearlessly declared, “charge ’em both ways,” as his troops repelled a Union advance and lived to fight another day. The events on these two battlefields are essential to a full understanding of the Civil War in the Western Theater.
Thanks to our members and supporters, the American Battlefield Trust has reached an important milestone in the history of the battlefield preservation movement. With the recent acquisition of 13 acres at Cedar Creek in Virginia’s picturesque Shenandoah Valley, we have now preserved more than 50,000 acres of hallowed ground across the United States.
Thanks to our dedicated members and supporters, the American Battlefield Trust has successfully acquired the 15-acre Washington’s Charge Site at the Princeton Battlefield. During the American Revolution, this land witnessed General George Washington’s famous counterattack against British regulars on January 3, 1777. While more than 8,000 individuals from around the globe donated generously to this project, we would like to extend a personal thank-you to Mr. Richard Gilder of New York, who, through his foundation, gave $1.1 million, and without whom we would not have been able to achieve this historic acquisition.
We are thrilled to announce that we have saved a critical, two-acre tract at Gettysburg’s Oak Ridge, thanks to the generous support of our members. In July 1863, this land witnessed some of the bloodiest and most intense combat during the first day of the American Civil War’s most iconic battle.
We are pleased to announce that we have protected 244 acres at Brandy Station. This victory was made possible by generous supporters and partners in preservation, namely the Virginia Outdoors Foundation and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. This acreage includes 174 acres at Hansbrough’s Ridge, where 800 Confederate soldiers barred a Union cavalry division from the main battle, and 70 acres at the north end of Fleetwood Hill, heart of the Brandy Station battlefield.