163 Yorktown Road
Newport News, VA 23603
This Italianate plantation house was built circa 1859, by affluent planter Richard Decatur Lee. Confederate Maj. Gen. John Bankhead Magruder and Gen. Joseph Johnston used the mansion as a headquarters during the 1862 Peninsula campaign. A small redoubt on the lawn, built during the campaign, was the site of a Confederate hot-air observation balloon launching.