13055 Warwick Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23607, USA
Young's Mill, a tide mill built about 1820, was situated on Deep Creek. The mill dam provided crossing for the Hampton (Great Warwick) Road. Confederate Maj. Gen. John Bankhead Magruder selected Young's Mill as the right flank of his First Peninsula defensive line in May 1861. When Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan began his march toward Richmond during the Peninsula Campaign, elements of the IV Corps skirmished with Confederate soldiers defending the fortifications surrounding the mill on April 4, 1862.