Newport News Park
13560 Jefferson Avenue
Newport News, VA 23603
To halt Maj. Gen. McClellan's march up the peninsula toward Richmond, Confederate Maj. Gen. Magruder built three dams to create impassable lakes on the Warwick River and fortified the dams to prevent frontal assaults by Union forces during the 1862 Peninsula Campaign. This site is the first of those three dams and is the midpoint between two prewar tide mills at Lee's Mill and Wynne's Mill.
Newport News, Virginia | Built in 1769, this plantation functioned as a Confederate hospital and headquarters for Gens. McLaws and Toombs during the...
The Mariners' Museum
Newport News, Virginia | Designated by Congress as America's National Maritime Museum, this site is home to the USS Monitor Center.
Lee Hall Mansion
Newport News, Virginia | Confederate Maj. Gen. John Bankhead Magruder and Gen. Joseph Johnston used the historic site as a headquarters during the...
Colonial National Historical Park
Yorktown, Virginia | This park possesses extensive vestiges of the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.
The Casemate Museum at Fort Monroe
Fort Monroe, Virginia | This museum is located within the moat area of Fort Monroe, America's largest stone fort.
Newport News, Virginia | When Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan began his march toward Richmond during the Peninsula Campaign, elements of the IV...
Berkeley Plantation at Harrison's Landing
Charles City, Virginia | This historic plantation was occupied by George McClellan's Union troops in 1862.