Civil War | Fort
Skiffes Creek Redoubt
9285 Warwick Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23607
The Skiffes Creek Redoubt formed part of Confederate Maj. Gen. John Bankhead Magruder's Second Peninsula defensive line. The redoubt was constructed in early April 1862 during the Peninsula campaign's Warwick-Yorktown line siege. The fortification helped defend the right flank of the Confederate defensive line until abandoned during the evening of May 3, 1862.
Newport News, Virginia | Built in 1769, this plantation functioned as a Confederate hospital and headquarters for Gens. McLaws and Toombs during the...
John B. Magruder's Dam No. 1
Newport News, Virginia | This site is the first of three dams built to slow McClellan's march up the peninsula towards Richmond.
Lee Hall Mansion
Newport News, Virginia | Confederate Maj. Gen. John Bankhead Magruder and Gen. Joseph Johnston used the historic site as a headquarters during the...
Lee's Mill, Rivers Ridge Circle
Newport News, Virginia | On April 5, 1862, this historic site was the scene of a brief skirmish that stopped Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's march...
The Mariners' Museum
Newport News, Virginia | Designated by Congress as America's National Maritime Museum, this site is home to the USS Monitor Center.
Virginia War Museum
Newport News, Virginia | The museum offers a comprehensive review of U.S. military history since 1775 and within this context provides its visitors...
Newport News, Virginia | When Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan began his march toward Richmond during the Peninsula Campaign, elements of the IV...
Colonial National Historical Park
Yorktown, Virginia | This park possesses extensive vestiges of the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.