Lee's Mill, Rivers Ridge Circle
9285 Warwick Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23607
A grist mill on the Warwick River was constructed here in 1856 by Richard D. Lee. These fortifications along the Warwick River formed part of Maj. Gen. John B. Magruder's second peninsula defensive line. On April 5, 1862, Lee's Mill was the scene of a brief skirmish that stopped Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's march toward Richmond. The Lee's Mill fortifications prompted McClellan to besiege the Confederate defenses during the first phase of the Peninsula campaign.