Fort Lamar Historic Preserve
Ft. Lamar Road
Charleston, South Carolina 29142
Initially called the Tower Battery because of its 75-foot observation tower, Fort Lamar was renamed for Col. Thomas G. Lamar, who commanded Confederate troops at the fort during the Battle of Secessionville on June 16, 1862. In this fierce battle, Lamar's men repulsed a Union army that outnumbered the defenders three-to-one and saved Charleston.