Fort Sumter is a coastal fortification that was begun in 1829, but was still not completed by the time the Civil War. Confederate and South Carolina troops, under the direction of Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard, bombarded the Union garrison commanded by Maj. Robert Anderson beginning April 12, 1861, signaling the start of the American Civil War. Fort Sumter was occupied by a Confederate garrison for most of the war. During the siege of Charleston, 1863-65, Fort Sumter was reduced to one-third of its original size. After the war, Fort Sumter was repaired but never rebuilt to its original height.
Sullivan's Island, South Carolina | Fort Moultrie's history covers more that 220 years of seacoast defense, from the first decisive victory in the American Revolution, to protecting the coast from U-boats in World War II.
Charleston, South Carolina | Intended to anchor the Confederate defenses of James Island and overlooking Seaside Creek and the Secessionville peninsula, this battery is an excellent intact example of a Civil War earthwork.
Join t Fight
Donate today to preserve Civil War battlefields and the nation’s history for generations to come.