Seaside Plantation Drive
Charleston, SC 29412
Battery 5, a Confederate earthwork constructed in 1863 under the direction of Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard, commander of the Departments of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, was the eastern terminus of the James Island Siege Line. Intended to anchor the Confederate defenses of James Island and overlooking Seaside Creek and the Secessionville peninsula, this battery is an excellent intact example of a Civil War earthwork.