Malvern Hill - July 1, 1862 - 7:30pm to 8:30pm
American Battlefield Trust’s map of the Battle of Malvern Hill on July 1, 1862, from 7:30pm to 8:30pm
The divisions of Maj. Gens. D. H. Hill and John Magruder were first to attack the Union line. Their men advanced out of the woods around the Willis Church-Carter’s Mill road junction in separate, disjointed movements that met the Yankee defenders in several piecemeal attacks. Reinforcing brigades were sent in one by one. A flanking attack from the Confederate right failed at the base of Malvern Cliffs near the Crew house.
Union III and IV Corps brigades were moved forward to meet the Confederate infantry assaults. Brig. Gen. George Sykes’s division of U. S. Regulars blocked the Confederate flanking move on the Union left. Fresh Federal artillery batteries were moved to the front to replace damaged or depleted guns and men, maintaining a solid barrage of fire against the Confederate attackers all across their front.
Learn More: The Battle of Malvern Hill