American Battlefield Trust's map of the Battle of Glendale on June 30, 1862
On the afternoon of June 30, 1862, Confederate Generals James Longstreet and A. P. Hill launched attacks north and south of the Long Bridge Road toward the Federal V Corps Pennsylvania Reserves division of Brig. Gen. George A. McCall. The II Corps division of Brig. Gen. John Sedgwick reinforced McCall, as did the III Corps divisions of Generals Phil Kearny and Joseph Hooker. Longstreet and Hill briefly broke the Federal line and captured McCall. The Confederates penetrated nearly to the Frayser (also spelled Frazier's) farm (near the home owned by R. H. Nelson) but were beaten back. Another ill-coordinated Confederate attack cost marked the day of fighting, with Generals Benjamin Huger, John "Prince John" Magruder, and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's forces largely missing the fight. By dusk, the Federals held the Willis Church Road, which led south to the remainder of the Union army. That night, the Yankees slipped away to another defensive position on Malvern Hill.