Lexington, VA 24450
Professor (Major) Thomas J. Jackson left from VMI on April 21, 1861, to become "Stonewall." VMI produced more officers for the Confederacy than any other college. The Cadets fought in the Battle of New Market on May 15, 1864. The school was burned on June 12, 1864 by Union General David Hunter. The museum houses the uniform in which Jackson earned his nickname and the uniform he was wearing when he was mortally wounded by his own men. His horse, Little Sorrel, is mounted and on exhibit.
Stonewall Jackson's Grave
Lexington, Virginia | Stonewall Jackson's grave is marked by Valentine's bronze statue of the general.
Stonewall Jackson House
Lexington, Virginia | This is the only home that Lt. Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson ever owned, and it is where he lived while a professor of natural...
Lee Chapel and Museum
Lexington, Virginia | Completed in 1868, while Lee was President of Washington College, the chapel houses his office, a family crypt, and is the...
Lewisburg National Register Historic District/Greenbrier County Visitor Center
Charleston, West Virginia | Lewisburg was the site of a Civil War battle on May 23, 1862, when Union forces attempted to sever railroad communications...