Old Capitol Museum of Mississippi History
100 South State Street
Jackson, MS 39201
This building was the site of Mississippi's Secession Convention, January 1861. It continued as the seat of state government until May 1863, when it was evacuated before the Battle of Jackson and later vandalized by Federal troops. For the remainder of the War, it remained in Confederate hands, although legislative and state offices were removed to Macon. In October of 1864 it served as a Confederate military headquarters.