300 East Capitol Street
Jackson, MS 39201
During the Civil War, Jackson was occupied four times by Union troops. A letter from Dr. R. N. Anderson to Governor John J. Pettus, dated May 29, 1863, documents that wounded Confederate soldiers were housed at the Mansion. Although there is no evidence that either General Grant or General Sherman ever used the Mansion as headquarters, a letter written by General Sherman dated July 19, 1863, indicates that Union officers entertained themselves at the Mansion on at least one occasion: "Last night, at the Governor's Mansion, in Jackson, we had a beautiful supper and union of the generals."
Old Capitol Museum of Mississippi History
Jackson, Mississippi | This building was the site of Mississippi's Secession Convention, January 1861, and it continued as the seat of state...
The Oaks House Museum
Jackson, Mississippi| Built about 1853, this was the home of longtime mayor James H. Boyd both before and after the Civil War.
Manship House Museum
Jackson, Mississippi| This historic house was built by Charles Henry Manship, who would go on to serve two terms as Jackson's first mayor during the...
Raymond, Mississippi | Built in 1857-59, the courthouse was used as a hospital for Confederate wounded and later occupied by Union troops following...