East Main Street
Frankfort, KY 40601
The ladies of the George M. Monroe Chapter 8, Kentucky Colored Corps, a division of the Women's Relief Corps of the Grand Army of the Republic, erected a simple yet noble monument here in 1924. It honors the 141 black men from central Kentucky who fought for the Union, all of whom mustered into Federal service at Camp Nelson, Kentucky. It is one of four monuments dedicated to African-American troops in the country. Files on the cemetery and a list of the names on the monument are available from the office of the Assistant Curator of the Capital City Museum.
Nicholasville, Kentucky | This historic site was a major Union supply depot for the armies of the Ohio and Cumberland.
Frankfort, Kentucky | This scenic cemetery overlooks the southern edge of the Kentucky River, the state capitol and the town of Frankfort.
Green Hill Cemetery
Frankfort, Kentucky | This cemetery honors the 141 black men from central Kentucky who fought for the Union.
Lexington, Kentucky | Although the Civil War brought division among Kentucky families, this cemetery maintained a position of neutrality.