Fort Smith National Historic Site preserves the site of two military posts and the historic Federal Court for the Western District of Arkansas. Fort Smith changed hands twice during the war. The U.S. Army, under the command of Capt. Samuel Sturgis, abandoned the fort to the state militia on April 23, 1861. The Confederate occupancy lasted until September 1863. The Union remained in control throughout the rest of the war, despite Confederate attacks led by Gen. Stand Watie. During the Union occupation, the fort served as a refuge from guerilla activity.
Fayetteville, Arkansas | This museum was used at various times as headquarters for both the Federal and Confederate armies, and the Battle of Fayetteville was fought on the house grounds and across the street on April 18, 1863.