907 Garrison Avenue
Fort Gibson, OK 74434
Fort Gibson was constructed in 1824 to keep peace between warring Native American tribes in the area and was a base of operations for many expeditions. The fort was abandoned in 1857, but reactivated during the Civil War and used as a base for post-war Reconstruction activities. From this point, Federal Maj. Gen. James Blunt marched 25 miles south to combat the Confederate build-up at Honey Springs depot. The army permanently abandoned the fort in 1890. This National Historic Landmark includes seven original structures and a reconstructed 1830s log garrison. A new museum and gift shop are housed in the 1840s commissary. A hiking trail connects the early fort with the post-Civil War buildings. Restoration is underway on the 1871 hospital.