1200 County Rd 251
Cedar Bluff, AL 35959
The Cornwall Furnace was built in 1863 by the Noble Brothers and named for their native Cornwall, England, home. This cold blast furnace furnished iron to the Noble Brothers Foundry in Rome, Georgia, where it was used to manufacture cannon, cannon balls, and other munitions for the Confederate army. Although Sherman gave orders to destroy it twice, the furnace survived the war but was later destroyed by an industrial explosion around 1870. Located on a five and one-half acre county park, the site has one of the best preserved stacks in the southeast.