At the outset of the Civil War, a system of flanking forts and batteries was constructed around Washington. One such spot was Fort Massachusetts, built along the Seventh Street Pike, a thoroughfare leading to and from Washington. The fort was enlarged on two occasions. In 1863 its name was changed to Fort Stevens, in memory of Brigadier Gen. Isaac Ingalls Stevens, who lost his life at Chantilly, Virginia. On July 11, 1864, Fort Stevens was the site of the only battle within the District of Columbia. Fort Stevens is one of the defenses that today form the Fort Circle Parks in Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia. Rock Creek Park administers Battery Kemble, Fort Bayard, Fort Reno, Fort DeRussy, Fort Stevens, Fort Slocum, Fort Totten and Fort Bunker Hill. For more information and the brochure "Civil War Defenses of Washington, " contact the Rock Creek Nature Center at (202) 895-6070. (See also entries in this guide for Fort Foote in Fort Washington, Maryland, and Fort Ward in Alexandria, Virginia.)
Washington, DC | The memorial sits at the base of the West Front of the Capitol Building, opposite from the Lincoln Memorial, so that the general who fought for the Union could forever face the president who saved the Union.
Washington, DC | Located just two blocks from the White House, the present church is a reproduction of the original church where President Lincoln and his family regularly attended services beginning in 1861.
Washington, DC | This national monument is the "first" national memorial to the 209,145 African-American soldiers and their 7, 000 white officers who fought in the American Civil War from 1862 to 1865.
Join t Fight
Donate today to preserve battlefields in America and protect the legacy of our nation’s defining conflicts.