The Carter House
1140 COLUMBIA AVENUE
FRANKLIN, TN 37064, USA
Website: http://www.carter-house.org/ »
Built in 1830, the Carter House was the location of the 1864 Battle of Franklin. The house and grounds, which served as a Federal command post before the battle and as a hospital after, are today preserved on ten acres. In this evening battle lasting only five hours, 6,000 Confederate soldiers, including six generals, were killed. More than one thousand bullet holes are still visible from the battle.