1345 Carnton Lane
Franklin, TN 37064
On November 30, 1864, Carnton was engulfed by Confederate soldiers moving toward well-entrenched Federal troops during the Battle of Franklin. This battle is now known for possibly being the bloodiest five hours of the Civil War. Later, the on-site mansion housed hundreds of the more than six thousand Confederate casualties, leaving the floors permanently blood stained. Adjoining the property is the McGavock Confederate Cemetery and the recently preserved Eastern Flank Battlefield.