Peebles’ Farm | Sep 30, 1864
In combination with Maj. Gen. Benjamin Butler’s offensive north of the James River at New Market Heights, Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant extended his left flank to cut Confederate lines of communication southwest of Petersburg. Two divisions of the Ninth Corps under Maj. Gen. John G. Parke, two divisions of the Fifth Corps under Maj. Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren, and Brig. Gen. David M. Gregg’s cavalry division were assigned to the operation. On September 30th, the Federals departed Fort Wadsworth and marched via Poplar Spring Church to reach Squirrel Level and Vaughan Roads. The initial Federal attack overran Fort Archer, flanking the Confederates out of their Squirrel Level Road line. Late that afternoon, Confederate reinforcements arrived, slowing the Federal advance. On October 1, the Federals repulsed a Confederate counterattack directed by Lt. Gen. A.P. Hill. Reinforced by Maj. Gen. Gershom Mott’s division, the Federals resumed their advance on the 2nd, captured Fort MacRae which was lightly defended, and extended their left flank to the vicinity of the Peebles and Pegram family farms. With these limited successes, Maj. Gen. George G. Meade suspended the offensive. A new line was entrenched from the Federal works on the Weldon Railroad west to Pegram’s Farm.