Chickamauga | Alexander Bridge | Sep 18, 1863
On September 18, 1863, Federal mounted infantry commanded by Col. John T. Wilder, the famed "Lightning Brigade," supported by 18th Indiana Battery defended Alexander's Bridge which spanned West Chickamauga Creek from Confederate incursions. Confederates of General William H. T. "Shot Pouch" Walker's corps were thwarted in repeated attempts to cross the creek due to the heavy Federal resistance. Near 4:30 PM, the Confederates forded the creek at Lambert's Ford some one mile south of the bridge, making the Union position untenable. Wilder withdrew his force to a position to the east of the Lafayette Road, near the Viniard farm. The Federal efforts at Alexander's and nearby Reed's Bridge disrupted the Confederate timeline for launching a coordinated attack on the Federals on September 18.