From the Deep Cut to Chinn Ridge, check out our collection of photos from the Second Manassas battlefield.
(35 photos in gallery)
Atop the Deep Cut
This photo, taken from Jackson's line in the unfinished railroad, looks back to the Groveton Monument and the Deep Cut battlefield. In 2011 the Civil War Trust saved the land that starts in the treeline behind the monument.
In Memory of the Patriots
Detailed view of the Groveton Monument. The edge of the 44-acre Dogan Farm tract, land that the Trust saved in 2011, can be seen in the treeline behind the monument.
Manassas National Battlefield
This vivid painting depicts the assault of Fitz John Porter's corps on the Deep Cut.
Target Tract at the Deep Cut
View of the Deep Cut region of the Second Manassas battlefield, denoting the edge of the 44-acre tract that the Civil War Trust worked to save in 2011.
Then and Now - The Groveton Monument
Library of Congress/Rob Shenk
Erected in 1865, this stone obelisk at the Deep Cut was originally trimmed with cannon balls and artillery shells.
View of an artillery piece at Battery Heights. Union artillery used this location during the Battle of Brawner's Farm. Confederates used it later to bombard Porter's attack on August 30, 1862.
Windswept grass points towards Groveton and the Warrenton Turnpike.
The tiny crossroads village of Groveton was the site of a sharp firefight in the waning hours of August 29, 1862, as elements of Longstreet's newly arrived wing searched for a way to turn the Union left flank.
John Nau and Jon Jarvis
Civil War Trust Board Member John Nau and NPS Director Jon Jarvis point at the Civil War Trust's new 44-acre preservation target on the Manassas battlefield.
The Dogan House
The home of Lucinda Dogan was one of several buildings that comprised the settlement of Groveton. The house, seen here, is the only one of those wartime structures still standing today.
Isolated in the wake of Porter’s attack, Lt. Charles Hazlett’s Battery D, 5th U.S. Artillery was in danger of being captured by John B. Hood’s Confederates. Fortunately, a member of the routed 5th New York warned Hazlett of the danger, allowing the battery to safely withdraw.
The Battle of Groveton Marker
The Battle of Second Manassas is often considered three separate engagements: The Battle of Brawner's Farm, the Battle of Groveton and the Second Battle of Manassas. This marker commemorates the twilight clash between Confederates of John B. Hood's division and Federals under Irwin McDowell at Groveton.
Into the Jaws of Death
View of the unfinished railroad line from the Groveton-Sudley Road - site where Porter's August 30, 1862 attack originated.
View of Deep Cut, Circa 1900s
Library of Congress
On August 30, 1862, Union commander John Pope ordered Maj. Gen. Fitz John Porter to advance his corps across this field and drive off Confederates sheltered in the deep excavation of an unfinished railroad.
Porter's Attack Today
Thanks to the work of the National Park Service, the ground over which Porter made his attack appears much as it did in 1862.
Screening the advance of Porter's corps were the green-clad marksmen of Col. Hiram Berdan's 1st U.S. Sharpshooters. This sign marks the position of a Wisconsin company of Berdan's regiment.
In the Deep Cut
The interior of the railroad cut at Second Manassas as it appears today.
The Deep Cut
Library of Congress
Taken in the 1880s, this photo of the Deep Cut gives the viewer an idea of just how much protection this railroad excavation gave to Jackson's infantry.
Touring Porter's Attack
Civil War Trust Color Bearers take a tour of the Deep Cut with historian Robert E. L. Krick.
Up the Embankment
The men of Porter's Fifth Corps rushed up this slope amid a storm of Confederate artillery and musketry during the fight at the Deep Cut. Those who reached the top found themselves trapped between Rebel infantry in front and the shell-swept field behind.
The Dunklin Monument
View of the Dunklin Monument on the Second Manassas Battlefield. Dunklin was a part of the Texas forces that attacked the Federal flank on August 30, 1862.
Exploring Jackson's Lines
Civil War Trust President Jim Lighthizer and former Chairman Tod Sedgwick explore Jackson's lines at Second Manassas.
Civil War Trust Color Bearers, listen to historian Robert E. L. Krick as he describes the bloody fighting at the Brawner Farm, the opening action of the battle at Second Manassas.
The Birth of the Iron Brigade
The brutal slugging match at the Brawner Farm was the baptism by fire for Brig. Gen. John Gibbon's brigade of Midwesterners. Standing toe-to-toe with the vaunted Stonewall Brigade, Gibbon’s men proved their mettle and earned themselves a new nickname: The Iron Brigade.
The Lewis Farm
View of the Lewis Farm - location where many of Longstreet's Confederates began their flank attack on August 30, 1862.
5th New York Monument
The colorful zouaves of the 5th New York made a gallant attempt to resist the assault of Longstreet's Confederates. In a struggle that was later described as "the vortex of hell" the New Yorkers lost 123 men killed, one of the largest losses of life in a single regiment of any battle in the Civil War.
The 10th New York Monument
The 10th New York Monument on the Second Manassas Battlefield.
View of Young's Branch at the base of Chinn Ridge. The broken remains of the 5th and 10th New York Regiments raced across this waterway after being broken by Longstreet's forces.
The Chinn House
View of the Chinn House - part of the fighting on August 30, 1862.
Col. Nathaniel McLean's brigade of Ohioans attempted to slow the momentum of Longstreet's Confederates as they arrived on Chinn Ridge.
Union Guns on Chinn Ridge
Capt. Michael Wiedrich's Battery I, 1st New York Artillery initially held this position on Chinn Ridge prior to being relieved by George Leppien's guns of the 5th Maine battery. The artillery was the focal point for the attacking Confederates, who eventually captured Leppien's guns.
Fletcher Webster Monument
The son of prominent Massachusetts statesman Daniel Webster, Col. Fletcher Webster, was killed here while encouraging the 12th Massachusetts as they battled Longstreet's Confederates on Chinn Ridge.
The Stone House
Also known as the Matthews House, this structure was a landmark during both battles at Manassas. During the August 1862 clash, the house was used as a hospital. Union commander John Pope's headquarters were also located on the hill behind the house.
This modern building occupies the location of the Sudley Church structure which sat near the Confederate left flank during the Battle of Second Manassas.
Preserving Second Manassas
Civil War Trust Chief Operations Officer Ron Cogswell admires a plaque hanging in the Manassas Battlefield visitor center commemorating the Trust's previous preservation achievements at the Second Manassas Battlefield.