Donate through your IRA
Note: The CARES Act, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, has waived the annual required minimum distribution (RMD) from IRA accounts through 2020.
Don’t need your retirement savings as much as you once thought? Please consider donating to the American Battlefield Trust through an IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD). If you’re over 70 ½ or older and have an IRA, you’re already qualified!
What are the Benefits?
- Did you know you can reduce your taxable income through an IRA QCD? If you make a gift directly to a qualified charity like the Trust, you reduce your taxable income while satisfying your required minimum distribution (RMD). You benefit even if you do not itemize your tax deductions.
- The SECURE Act, passed in December 2019, raised the age requirement for taking RMDs from 70 ½ to 72 years. This ruling did not impact when you can make a QCD gift (70 ½ years).
- After you turn 72, you are required to make minimum distributions from your IRA. If you do not, you may find yourself with IRS penalties! To ensure this won’t happen, you may make a QCD gift of up to $100,000 per individual or $200,000 per couple.
- You can make further strides in helping us save crucial hallowed ground across the country through an IRA QCD gift. This gift has an immediate impact on our mission and allows us to continue preserving battlefield land and developing our incredible educational offerings to students and teachers alike.
What Are My Next Steps?
- Contact your IRA administrator to make your QCD gift. Click here to download sample language to send to your plan administrator.
- Your IRA administrator may ask for our federal tax ID number, which is 54-1426643.
- Let us know! Contact Meaghan Hogan, Development Assistant, and notify us of your gift. This helps make sure we give you proper credit for your generous donation. She can also be reached at (202) 367-1861 ex. 7242.
Questions? Please contact
- Meaghan Hogan, Development Assistant
(202) 367-1861 ext. 7242