Highway 37 & Old US Highway 51
Mound City, IL 62963
During the Civil War, the large naval shipyards around Mound City provided the 80-vessel Union Mississippi Squadron with warships, including the USS Cairo, USS Cincinnati, and USS Mound City. The hotel and foundry in Mound City were converted to a large Civil War hospital complex that served both Union and Confederate casualties at Shiloh and Vicksburg. In 1864, the federal government designated a plot of land near the general hospital to serve as a national cemetery. Today approximately 2,300 known and 2,400 unknown Civil War soldiers are buried in the cemetery.