1711 Dandridge Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37915
The Mabry-Hazen House was occupied by Union and Confederate troops alternately. From 1861 to 1863 Knoxville was occupied by Confederate troops under Gen. Felix Zollicoffer, who set up headquarters in the home. In 1863, Knoxville and the Mabry home were taken over by Union troops, while the family continued to live upstairs. The grounds were fortified, and Mrs. Mabry's sketch of the trenches surrounding the house survives. Hundreds of artifacts help create a personal picture of family life during the Civil War and Reconstruction. The Knoxville Confederate Cemetery contains the remains of 1, 600 Confederate troops, plus those of 60 Union soldiers killed between 1861 and 1864. The centerpiece of the cemetery is a 12-foot-square, 48-foot-high monument dedicated in 1891.