Fortress Rosecrans, Stones River National Battlefield
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
After the Confederates withdrew from Murfreesboro at the conclusion of the Battle of Stones River in January 1863, the Federal Army, under Gen. William Rosecrans, began fortifying Murfreesboro. Fortress Rosecrans became one of the Union's largest earthen fortifications of the Civil War. The features that remain include Redoubt Brannan, Lunettes Palmer and Thomas, and Curtain Wall 2.