150 Cullum Rd
West Point, NY 10996
Built between 1778 and 1780 near West Point, New York, Fort Clinton was initially known as Fort Arnold in honor of Benedict Arnold, who commanded the fortifications at West Post. Once he defected to the British Army, the fort was renamed Fort Clinton in honor of General James Clinton. The fort overlooked and protected the Hudson River, and the Great Chain, a chain supported by log rafts stretched across the river to impede British movement north of West Point. After the American Revolution, the fort fell into disarray and was eventually demolished to make room for the expansion of the United States Military Academy at West Point.