4707 Steam Mill Ferry Road
Medon, TN 38356
On September 1, 1862, Confederate Col. William H. Jackson's Seventh Tennessee Cavalry, Forrest's brigade, attacked the Twentieth and Thirtieth U.S. Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery under the command of Colonel Dennis, near Jackson, Tennessee. The Battle of Britton's Lane resulted in the capture of a large Union wagon train, two pieces of artillery, and 213 prisoners. Monuments mark the site, along with a mass grave of Confederates killed in the action. An extant cabin on the site was used as a Federal and Confederate hospital. After the battle, eighty-seven Union soldiers were imprisoned in the Denmark Presbyterian Church near Britton Lane Battlefield. The structure still contains graffiti left by the Union prisoners.