Champion Hill Battlefield
Large portions of the battlefield, along Champion Hill Road between the towns of Bolton and Edwards, are in an excellent state of preservation, including a number of roads used by the armies in 1863. However, much of this land remains in private hands and visitors should respect posted signs. A 4,000-acre area was listed as the Champion Hill Battlefield on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and was designated a National Historic Landmark District in 1977. The Coker House, used as a hospital by Union forces, has recently been reconstructed. Some historic markers, including at the site of the Champion House, are in the area.
Champion Hill Battlefield: What's Nearby