Brandywine | Sep 11, 1777
On the morning of September 11, 1777, Gen. George Washington posted 14,000 troops of the Continental Army along the banks of Brandywine Creek, less than 25 miles southwest of Philadelphia. Washington believed that he had securely covered all possible fords. This turned out not to be the case, and 15,500 British troops commanded by General William Howe advanced under the cover of a heavy fog, demonstrating to Washington's front while moving troops around to attack the exposed Continental right flank. General Nathanael Greene’s men counterattacked, but ultimately the Continental Army was forced to retreat, leaving the path open for the British Army to occupy the capital of Philadelphia.