We had an opportunity to save land at two of Tennessee’s most famous battlefields. Now, we’re thrilled to declare those 63 acres preserved, thanks to our generous supporters! Fort Donelson was one of the first in a string of successes that earned Union general Ulysses S. Grant the moniker “Unconditional Surrender” Grant. Parker’s Cross Roads is the place where Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest fearlessly declared, “charge ’em both ways,” as his troops repelled a Union advance and lived to fight another day. The events on these two battlefields are essential to a full understanding of the Civil War in the Western Theater.
Thanks to our members and supporters, the American Battlefield Trust has reached an important milestone in the history of the battlefield preservation movement. With the recent acquisition of 13 acres at Cedar Creek in Virginia’s picturesque Shenandoah Valley, we have now preserved more than 50,000 acres of hallowed ground across the United States.
Thanks to our dedicated members and supporters, the American Battlefield Trust has successfully acquired the 15-acre Washington’s Charge Site at the Princeton Battlefield. During the American Revolution, this land witnessed General George Washington’s famous counterattack against British regulars on January 3, 1777. While more than 8,000 individuals from around the globe donated generously to this project, we would like to extend a personal thank-you to Mr. Richard Gilder of New York, who, through his foundation, gave $1.1 million, and without whom we would not have been able to achieve this historic acquisition.
We are thrilled to announce that we have saved a critical, two-acre tract at Gettysburg’s Oak Ridge, thanks to the generous support of our members. In July 1863, this land witnessed some of the bloodiest and most intense combat during the first day of the American Civil War’s most iconic battle.
We are pleased to announce that we have protected 244 acres at Brandy Station. This victory was made possible by generous supporters and partners in preservation, namely the Virginia Outdoors Foundation and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. This acreage includes 174 acres at Hansbrough’s Ridge, where 800 Confederate soldiers barred a Union cavalry division from the main battle, and 70 acres at the north end of Fleetwood Hill, heart of the Brandy Station battlefield.
Thanks to great partners — including the Watson-Brown Foundation of Thomson, Ga.; Georgia Battlefields Association; Georgia Piedmont Land Trust; Weyerhauser Co.; Wilkes County; Kettle Creek Battlefield Association; Georgia Society Sons of the American Revolution; and Georgia State Society Daughters of the American Revolution — Campaign 1776 (now the Revolutionary War Trust) has preserved 180 acres at the Revolutionary War’s Kettle Creek battlefield in Georgia. The acquisition protects historic ground where the Feb. 14, 1779, battle began and many of its casualties remain. The land will be added to Kettle Creek Battlefield Park. The battle foretold of British reverses to come in the South.
Thanks to our wonderful partners, including the Fauquier and Loudoun Garden Club, the Virginia Department of Transportation, and NOVA Parks, the Civil War Trust has preserved 20 acres at the Upperville battlefield in Virginia — protecting a key part of a small but important battle of the early Gettysburg campaign for future generations. This tract includes the historic Goose Creek Bridge, the stone span over which the men of Strong Vincent's brigade charged at the climax of the fighting on June 21, 1863.
We recently called on our membership to help preserve 391 acres at three of Virginia’s most famous battlefields: Gaines’ Mill, Cedar Mountain, and Cold Harbor. Thanks to the generosity of preservationists like you, we can now celebrate victory on this significant land! This makes a grand total of more than 900 acres of hallowed ground saved by the Civil War Trust at these three storied sites.
Campaign 1776 (now known as the Revolutionary War Trust), a division of the American Battlefield Trust, worked to preserve a 10.4-acre portion of the Brandywine battlefield, announcing victory in September 2017. Located in the middle of two major combat zones, this property is an ideal place to help visitors understand the sprawling battle that took place here in 1777.