1 East Edenton Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
The building is virtually unaltered from its Civil War era appearance. Completed in 1840, the capitol's house chamber was the site of the 1861 Secession Convention, and the building served several sessions of the Confederate legislature. The capitol was occupied by staff officers of Sherman's army from April to May 1865 and was peacefully surrendered. The capitol's dome was the site of one of the last U.S. Army signal stations. The legislative chambers contain the original 1840 desks and chairs.