41 Cemetery Road
Natchez, MS 39120
The town of Natchez was spared extensive damage by surrendering early to Union troops during two military engagements fought in 1863 and 1864. Some of the first Union internments in the original cemetery, created in 1866, were Federal troops who had died at "The Gardens," a Natchez home converted into a military hospital. Other interments were brought from sites in Louisiana and Mississippi, including many bodies that had been buried in the levees near the west shore of the Mississippi.