On November 4, 1864, at Johnsonville, Tenn., Lt. Gen. Nathan B. Forrest's cavalry took up artillery positions on the west bank of the Tennessee River and destroyed the Federal depot at Johnsonville. Union losses in the raid included 4 gunboats, 14 steamboats, 17 barges, 33 cannons, and more than 75, 000 tons of supplies--valued at $6.7 million. Two large Civil War field fortifications are interpreted at the park.
Eva, Tennessee | This State Park was named for Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, the intrepid Confederate cavalry leader who on November 4, 1864, attacked and destroyed the Federal supply and munitions depot at Johnsonville at the mouth of Trace Creek
Murfreesboro, Tennessee | After the Confederates withdrew from Murfreesboro at the conclusion of the Battle of Stones River in January 1863, the Federal Army, under Gen. William Rosecrans, began fortifying Murfreesboro.
Henning, Tennessee | This Fort was occupied throughout most of the War Between the States by Union or Confederate forces. The fortification was named after General Gideon J. Pillow, a Mexican War hero. Today, the Fort is a State Park.
Join t Fight
Donate today to preserve battlefields in America and protect the legacy of our nation’s defining conflicts.