On June 4, 1863, Union troops came down along the May River and bombed the town. Seventy-five percent of the town burned. Only eight homes and two churches survive today from the antebellum period. The Heyward House is one of those eight homes and is the only one open to the public.
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina | Fort Howell is an earthen fort constructed in 1864 by the Union during their occupation of Hilton Head Island. Its purpose was to protect the freedman's village, Mitchelville, from attack.
Join t Fight
Donate today to preserve Civil War battlefields and the nation’s history for generations to come.