A two-story frame structure located directly beside the railroad tracks, the Graffiti House is believed to have been constructed in 1858. According to local tradition, the building was used as a hospital site by Confederate soldiers following the Battle of Brandy Station and other local battles. Union soldiers used the house during the Winter Encampment of Brandy Station in 1863-1864. The Graffiti House is named for the signatures, inscriptions, and drawings of Civil War soldiers who drew on the walls with charcoal and pencil. Much of the graffiti that still survives is on exhibit in the house. Other exhibits depict the Civil War history of Brandy Station and Culpeper County.
Rapidan, Virginia | On August 9, 1862, numerically superior Confederates under "Stonewall" Jackson nearly suffered defeat at the hands of a small Union force commanded by Nathaniel Banks until a counterattack by A.P. Hill led the Southerners to victory.
Brandy Station, Virginia | On June 9, 1863, the Gettysburg campaign began when Union cavalry surprised J.E.B. Stuart's troopers in what was to be the largest cavalry battle ever fought in North America.
Join t Fight
Donate today to preserve battlefields in America and protect the legacy of our nation’s defining conflicts.