1111 6th Avenue
West Point, GA 31833
This earthen fort was built to defend the strategic Chattahoochee River bridges and military depot in West Point. It was the site of one of the last engagements of the Civil War, fought on April 16, 1865, between Union cavalry under command of Col. Oscar LaGrange and Confederates under Gen. Robert Tyler. The Confederates, numbering fewer than 300 men, managed to withstand advances by 3,500 Union soldiers for eight hours before the fort was finally captured.