11100 Fort Frederick Road
Big Pool, MD 21711
The restored stone fort, built in 1756, was the cornerstone of Maryland's defense during the French and Indian War. The site served as a Union garrison and was attacked by a Confederate detachment on Christmas Day 1861. The Union garrison repulsed the attack and was later withdrawn from the area. Exhibits interpret the history of the park from the English Colonial period through the Civilian Conservation Corps restoration in the 1930s.