Fort Davis, TX 79734
Fort Davis, established in 1854, was the first military post to guard the route westward and offer haven by the precious waters of Limpia Creek. Col. John R. Baylor's Confederate cavalry brigade reached Fort Davis on April 13, 1861, and Union troops withdrew in compliance with orders already received from Brig. Gen. David E Twiggs. The Confederates remained there for a few months, then vacated the post. Federal troops returned in June 1867, but little of value remained and construction ensued.