360 Highland Rd #340
Tiverton, RI 02878
Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, the Fort Barton site still has the earthwork remains of Fort Barton, constructed in 1777, used as a defensive post overlooking the ferry crossing between Tiverton and Aquidneck Island during the American Revolution. This ferry was used as a launching position for American forces during the Battle of Rhode Island in August 1778. The fort was named after Lt. Col. William Barton, who captured British General Richard Prescott during a midnight raid at Prescott Farm.