Teacher Institute Travel Scholarship Applications
For the 2021 National Teacher Institute
Our annual National Teacher Institute Travel Scholarship program is designed to help offset travel costs to and from the National Teacher Institute. Our scholarships provide up to $600 in travel assistance. Travel scholarships will reimburse you for the following travel expenses: gas, turnpike tolls, cab fare/Uber rides, airplane or train tickets, economy class rental cars, and hotel stays in the Baltimore area. These items will only be reimbursed for Teacher Institute related travel, within a reasonable timeframe of the beginning and end of the Teacher Institute.
Travel scholarships do not cover first-class accommodations, meals, room service, WiFi fees, airport or other parking fees, souvenirs, admission to museums or other entertainment attractions. The American Battlefield Trust reserves the right to revoke any scholarship for what is determined to be abusive behavior or inappropriate expenses.
Scholarship recipients must:
- Be one of the following—an active and fulltime K-12 educator, full-time K-12 administrator, fulltime museum professional, fulltime librarian.
- Make their own travel arrangements.
- Register for the Teacher Institute.
- Place a $100 refundable deposit on or before May 20, 2021.
- Pay for their travel costs and submit a reimbursement form, with receipts, by August 6, 2021.
- Attend all Teacher Institute sessions on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of the event.
- Sign-in and sign-out of each session the recipient attends.
- Complete a post-Teacher Institute exit survey.
- Those who were awarded a travel scholarship in 2017, 2018, 2019, or 2020 and canceled your scholarship or no called-no showed at the event are not eligible for travel scholarship funding.
What do you look for on our scholarship applications?
Scholarships are NOT awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. We review each application carefully and look at a variety of criteria, including but not limited:
- The number of scholarships received in the past.
- Distance traveled to the event.
- Quality of answers.
- The honesty of the applicant's answers.
- Time and effort put into the applicant's answers.
- Financial need demonstrated.
- The certitude of travel plans.
- The benefit to the educator's professional development.
- The benefit to the educator's students.
- Exposure of American Battlefield Trust educational materials and funding to new recipients and audiences.
- Applicant's attitude & demeanor.
We will accept scholarship applications from January 15, 2021, to March 5, 2021. All scholarship applicants will be notified of their status on or before March 19, 2021.
Those who were awarded a scholarship in 2017, 2018, 2019, or 2020 and canceled your scholarship are not eligible for a travel scholarship.
We do strongly recommend that scholarship recipients make reservations to stay at the host hotel—Sheraton Inner Harbor Hotel.
Please Note: The National Teacher Institute travel scholarship differs from the Annual Conference travel scholarship. These are two separate scholarship programs. If you are a teacher or student and want to attend the Annual Conference, please click here for more information.
Do you have questions about the venue, scholarships, travel, or more? Please check out our FAQ page for more information.