4000 Woodland Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19104
The Woodlands Cemetery, incorporated in 1840 on the grounds of the historic Hamilton Mansion, built circa 1788, is the gravesite of many individuals associated with the Civil War. Among those veterans buried at the Woodlands are Maj. Gen. David Bill Birnay, Dr. John Hill Briton, Sidney George Fisher, Adm. Charles Stewart, Mary Grew, and Emily Bliss Souder. GAR markers mark the graves of other Civil War veterans. The cemetery grounds overlook the Schuykill River, used to transport Union soldiers wounded at Gettysburg to nearby Satterlee Hospital, the largest U.S. Army hospital used during the Civil War. The hospital was located in nearby Clark Park.