Fort Towson was abandoned in 1856 when the frontier moved west. During the Civil War, however, it served as headquarters for Confederate forces operating in Indian Territory. In 1865, General Stand Watie surrendered his command near the fort to become the last Confederate general to lay down arms.
Durant, Oklahoma | In the 1850s, this fort was a United States Army Artillery School, and it was later occupied by Confederate troops during the Civil War as the headquarters of Brig. Gen. Douglas Cooper.
Atoka, Oklahoma | This museum includes memorabilia from The Battle of Middle Boggy, and the battle is reenacted every third year at a nearby site by the Oklahoma Historical Society and Atoka County Historical Society.
Paris, Texas | The two-story frame residence is built in the High Victorian Italianate style and was considered a proper home for the family of Sam Bell Maxey, the West Point-educated Mexican War veteran, Confederate general and two-term U.S. senator.
Join t Fight
Donate today to preserve Civil War battlefields and the nation’s history for generations to come.