Port Sulphur, LA 70083
This restored fort was built to defend New Orleans and the mouth of the Mississippi River. In April 1862, Flag Officer David G. Farragut's mortar boats bombarded Fort Jackson in order to move upriver. Thirteen ships succeeded in passing the fort and continued on to capture the city of New Orleans.
Fort Jackson has reopened after suffering damage in Hurricane Katrina.