120 Duncan Street
Clarksville, TN 37042
Constructed on the property of Clarksville pioneer Valentine Sevier and renamed on completion, Fort Defiance was abandoned by Confederate forces during the capture of Clarksville, leading to the fall of Nashville. Confederate troops briefly reoccupied Fort Defiance in the summer of 1862. During the remainder of the war, Col. Sanders D. Bruce of Kentucky (for whom the fort was renamed) commanded and expanded the fort.