London House, E Lower Wacker Dr
Chicago, IL 60601
Fort Dearborn was built in 1803 along the Chicago River on land now in Chicago, Illinois. It was named after Revolutionary War veteran and the U.S. Secretary of War Henry Dearborn, who commissioned the fort's construction. The original fort was burned in August 1814 during the Battle of Fort Dearborn, and it was rebuilt the following year and manned intermittently until it was destroyed by fire in 1857.
Today, the fort outline is marked by plaques and information signs about the fort's history.
A Glossary of Fortification Terms
Learn more about the Civil War fortifications with this glossary of terms.
A Brief Overview of the War of 1812
The War of 1812 brought the United States onto the world's stage in a conflict that ranged throughout the American Northeast, Midwest, and Southeast...